This Cranberry and Sage roast chicken recipe contains all of the traditional flavours of Christmas; zesty tangelos, crispy sage and tangy cranberries. It’s a fresh and light alternative to the traditional roast turkey.
What you’ll need:
100g butter, room temperature
20 sage leaves
1 garlic clove
¾ cup dried cranberries
½ teaspoon sea salt
1.5kg whole chicken (approx.)
2 red onions, roughly sliced
1 tbs olive oil
1 bunch of fresh kale
½cup pecans, toasted
How to put together:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add the butter, zest of 1 tangelo, 15 sage leaves, garlic clove, ¼ cup of dried cranberries and sea salt to a food processor.
- Blend until you have a smooth butter with flecks of sage and cranberries.
- Add the chicken to a roasting tray breast side up.
- Cut 1 tangelo into wedges and stuff into the cavity of the chicken.
- Tuck the red onions in around the outside of the chicken and drizzle with olive oil.
- Using your hands gently loosen the skin away from the breast being careful not to create any holes.
- Push 1 tablespoon of the butter mixture underneath the skin of each breast.
- Rub another tablespoon of the butter mixture over the outside of the chicken.
- Juice 2 tangelos and pour juice over the chicken and onions.
- Roast chicken in the oven for 1 hour and40 minutes, basting with the juices every 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest in the roasting tray for 5 minutes.
- Remove the kale leaves from the stalks.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter mixture in a large fry pan over a high heat and add the kale leaves.
- Cook fast and hot for 1 minute making sure to continually toss the kale.
- Remove the kale from the pan and add the remaining 5 sage leaves, cook for 1 minute until crisp
- Place the roast chicken onto a large serving dish and surround with the kale leaves.
- Cut and peel the remaining tangelos into segments and tuck these in amongst the kale leaves.
- Scatter ½ cup dried cranberries, toasted pecans and roasted red onions throughout the salad.
- Place the crispy sage leaves on top of the chicken and serve the chicken juices from the pan in a jug on the side