Focaccia bread is one of the easiest breads to make, it actually requires very little rising time and is difficult to get wrong! I’ve topped mine with olives and rosemary but you can use roasted pumpkin and goat’s cheese or just have it plain with no topping.
What you’ll need
325ml warm water
2 tbs dried instant yeast
2 tbs sugar
475g spelt flour
1 tsp sea salt
3 tbs olive oil
1 cup pitted olives
2 -3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
How to put this all together
- Add the yeast and sugar to the warm water, stir, cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the spelt flour to a large bowl along with the salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix together, make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast water mixture.
- Mix together until a sticky dough forms and tip out onto a floured surface.
- Knead for 15 minutes until the dough is soft and elastic. Set aside in a bowl covered for 60 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, knock out the air and knead for a few minutes.
- Roll out dough into desired shape, I created an oval shape and place dough onto baking tray.
- Cover again and allow to sit in a warm place for another 20 minutes.
- Uncover and press dimples into the dough using your fingers.
- Push in the olives,sprinkle with rosemary and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown.
Please feel free to leave a comment below with any questions or just to let me know how you went making this recipe. I always love hearing your feedback and suggestions.
Happy sprouting, baking and cooking!